Thursday, September 8, 2011

One of those days...

Yesterday was my Monday since I work weekends and I'm off Mondays and Tuesdays.  It started out great when I walked outside and found my van had a flat tire.  And of course my hydraulic jack is missing so I was stuck using the piece of shit provided by Chevy.  The assholes who designed and approved that hunk of fail need to be lined up and shot, IMHO. 

The first half of the day went well, and I then I was asked to pick up some extra work.  That was no big deal as one more service call only added about an hour to my day.  Then I get a call from my direct supervisor saying he needs me to go on a 6/1 schedule for the next two weeks, which I hate.  I'm one of those people who really needs two days off just to keep my sanity.  And, of course, my first afternoon customer turned out to one who was doing some home projects that delayed what I was doing by about an hour.  This of course left me getting to a new install around 4PM. 

The new install went quick, unfortunately they were a very nice and talkative couple which caused a few delays  The end result was me getting to my last service call a little after 7PM.  It went fairly quick and I was finished in an hour...but had an hours drive home.  Sigh....

Arriving home I found that a breaker that I had a feeling was going bad was tripped, and it refused to reset.  As there was no load on it all day except my router and modem, and it's a 20 amp circuit, I figured it's a bad breaker (I liberated it and some of the others from a remodel when I was still working for an electrician...one of the others went bad too).  Luckily it wasn't my refrigerator circuit.

Not having a spare handy I just switched the the bad breaker for the one on my microwave circuit until I can pick another one up.  So far it's working just fine.  Hopefully the issue is the breaker, otherwise I'm in for a ton of work finding the problem and I'll probably end up replacing all the switches and plugs on that circuit just to be on the safe side.  Probably replace the wall boxes too if it comes to it, damn it. 

Well, at least I know how to do it.

Anyway, if things get slower than usual around here you'll know why.  

5 comments:

North said...

I hope things pick up for you.

Stephen said...

Sorry, hope things turn around for you.

Old NFO said...

Ouch... I couldn't do your job, it's bad enough when you're just trying to get work done, but putting up with the 'delays' is the killer... also, I'd be replacing all those breakers, they could have been a bad lot (known to happen)...

RobertM said...

Yeah, its annoying as hell waiting around, especially since I'm paid per job. I am going to pick up some new breakers, but I have a feeling I've got a minor short somewhere.

RobertM said...

Thank you, Stephen and North. I appreciate the thought.