Monday, September 19, 2011

Going against the grain.

I like the Star Wars Special Editions.  I don't give a damn if Han shot first, I care that he shot accurately.  And I thought the prequels were pretty good.  My only real complaints were Jar-Jar and the infamous, "NOOOOOOO!"

So, as you can imagine, I'm not particularly upset that George Lucas has made more changes to the Blu-ray versions of the Star Wars movies.  I'll probably pick them up after I get around to picking up a HD tv and a Blu-ray player.  If nothing else they'll be worth it for all the bonus material.

I think the reason I'm not so torn up about the movies is because Star Wars was never just the original trilogy for me.  I saw those, and a few years later I saw the Special Editions.  I loved them.  I think most of the changes were for the better.  By the time the prequels were released I'd read about three decades worth of Star Wars history post-Return of the Jedi so the movies were just a small piece of the overall story, and really not the best part either.

Star Wars was never just three movies made in the '70s and '80s to me.  It was always a lot more.  I guess because of that small changes in the films that don't change the overall story line just don't bother me, and there are plenty of other things to be annoyed with George Lucas about (like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull!).    

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's a funny hour long review of episode one and why it's so awful compared to the original movies, well worth watching. From red letter media.

RobertM said...

An hour long? Really? I wish I had that much time on my hands.

RobertM said...

Wow, thanks for that. I watched ten minutes and wanted to kill myself. I didn't have 20 years to fall in love with the first movies and then get pissed off when the prequels weren't carbon copies.

Anyway, I like them. I put them in, they're fun to watch. And they give a bit of a back story to the now fifty years worth of history post-Jedi.

Like I said, the movies are just a small part of the overall story to me, and not the best part.

I honestly wish I had the talent to make movies so bad that they make me rich beyond my wildest dreams.

An hour long? Damn. That's someone who is seriously pissed off.

Rob Reed said...

HERETIC!

Unclean! Unclean!

That is all.

Trebor (my geek name)

RobertM said...

I know. I'm so ashamed...