Thursday, July 7, 2011

Equal Protection.

If there is a law that forbids a certain activity to one group of people, but not to another, for arbitrary reasons, does this not violate the Equal Protection clause of the 14th Amendment?

The example that got me thinking of this are those that forbid texting while driving while exempt law enforcement.  While I'm sure LEOs get some advanced training for operating motor vehicles, I kind of doubt any of it covers driving with your frickin' eyes and one hand occupied by a personal electronic device.

Just a thought.  I'm sure the courts won't agree with me. After all, LEOs are the "only ones."

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Yeah, now you're getting into their knickers... and that just won't do... THEY are above little restrictions like that... sigh.

RobertM said...

This is one issue that really pisses me off. There is no logical reason for a police officer to be exempted for a law banning texting and driving. None.

On top of that there is no reason to have a law banning texting and driving. Every jurisdiction has reckless driving statutes. I think not watching where you're going and weaving all over the road qualify. But, of course, you might lose your license for reckless driving. Can't pay a fine for a driving infraction if you can't drive.