Sunday, December 12, 2010

The 'Ick Factor' is not a legitimate basis for laws.

We have a lot of stupid laws in the country.  I would posit that more than a few are the result of someone going, "Ick!  We can't let people do that, that's disgusting!"

Which brings us to this.  David Epstein, a Columbia professor, has been arrested for incest.  Definitely ick.  However, here is the rub for me.  The 'crime' was committed with his adult (24 years old) daughter.  She has not been arrested (equal protection, anyone?).  Incest between adults is, quite frankly, a malum prohibitum issue.  It's icky, and in general none of us want to think about it, but when it comes right down to it I am a libertarian.  Some Lib Prof and his adult daughter making the beast with two backs in no way affects my personal liberty.

I have the same reaction to this story as I do to people eating bugs or seafood.  Should I advocate laws against the eating of bugs and seafood?

Let me use a better analogy.  I've engaged in sexual acts with other consenting adults that 'go against the Bible.'  Should I go to jail for those actions because someone finds them icky?  Hey, there are people out there who get off on smearing themselves in shit or throwing up in each others mouths.  It's fucking disgusting, but the idea of making it illegal for them to do that if they choose to is even more repugnant.

Maybe I'm jaded.  Maybe I've read too much Heinlein.  Or maybe I just really mean it when I say people should be left alone as long as they're not hurting anyone but themselves.

That said, I don't want to hear a single fucking joke from any liberals and/or Democrats about cousin humping hillbillies and rednecks.  Ever.  Again.  Because I can and will bring up Epstein penetrating his daughter's delicate flower with his pulsating tower of patriarchy. 

H/t Instapundit

2 comments:

Kris said...

I have always felt the same way about incest. Ick, but . . . whatever. Also, I am for making suicide legal. I think it's a stupid thing to do, but I think people should have the right to end their own lives. And when I say make suicide legal, obviously I mean attempted since it's the only one punishable.

RobertM said...

My thoughts are the same when it comes to suicide. If some idiot can't deal, fine.