Saturday, November 20, 2010

Movie Review: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I

I saw this last night.

Personally, I felt it was one of the worst book to movie adaptations I have ever seen.  It was a great movie, and moved the story along, but it also seemed to assume you've read the book.  That's all good and well except it left me constantly asking, "What does that mean?  How do they know that?  How did they come to that conclusion?"  And I read the book.  I knew the story.  They didn't just cut out filler and extraneous details, they cut out key fucking elements of the plot. 

All of the books, and the movies, have basically been mystery stories.  You follow the actions of the characters as they figure things out.  You see the evidence, the conclusions it leads them to, and how they react.  I enjoy that about them. 

This latest movie seemed like they filmed that, but then edited out all but the action scenes and high tension moments.  It left me feeling like I'd missed parts of the movie.  If I hadn't read the book I'd have been going, "Huh?" the entire time.

At the very least it suffers from terrible editing that left the story feeling disjointed.  Maybe some of that will be cleared up in Part II, but I doubt it. 

No comments: