Monday, October 4, 2010

On The Range #27: Shooting the Mosin Nagant

I recently picked up a Mosin-Nagant rifle, which fires the 7.62X54R cartridge. I believe it is an M38 carbine manufactured in 1941. I don't know a lot about these rifles and this is the first I've ever had in my hands.

I shot it once before when it belonged to a friend of mine. I enjoyed shooting it and was impressed with it accuracy. I'm not the best rifle shot, but I did okay at short range with this rifle.

I took it out today and did a little more shooting. I didn't have a lot of time or I would have shot more. As it was, I only shot about ten rounds, two five rounds groups, at relatively short distances. I think around 20 and 30 yards. That really not enough to get a feel for it but my 100 yard range is being blocked by a broken down tractor at the moment.

The trigger is pretty nasty, but manageable. The recoil is not for the faint of heart, but not really all that bad if you know how to correctly hold a rifle.

I enjoy shooting the rifle but I must confess to a fear of bolt action rifles that probably doesn't make much sense. I always wonder about a bolt failure that results in it flying back into my eye. Probably completely irrational but it's there just the same, but it's there especially when I'm shooting such an aged firearm. /shrug

I want to shoot this rifle more, and at longer distances. I need to know if I can safely hunt with it this season. I dearly want to get some venison in my freezer this winter.

Since I'm using dirty ammo I made sure I thoroughly cleaned the rifle after I finished shooting it. I don't want it going to hell through neglect on my part.

I predict I will have a lot of fun with this particular gun.

No comments: