Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Firearms training stream of consciousness.

Addressing no one and no thing in particular, but just reacting to everything I've been reading the past couple of days:

I'm getting the impression lately that while a lot of people seem to think free enterprise always does something better than government this doesn't apply to firearms training and/or tactics.  Hmm.  As with all things, I think you get what you pay for. 

My personal experience with firearms training is the tiniest bit in the Boy Scouts which was mainly just learning range commands with no effort whatsoever given to actually teaching anyone how to shoot, and a half day NRA Basic Pistol course.  I didn't learn much that common sense doesn't tell you from the Scouts, but I learned a hell of a lot from the NRA instructor and my shooting improved.  Now I plan on taking more handgun courses, and if I see the same result I will continue to do so when I can afford it.

The 'tactical carbine' tends to get sneered at, especially when it comes to firearms training.  "You'll never use that in real life!"  Funny, when I still owned an AR it was my go to defensive weapon at home.  I put a light on it because if I'm at home it's usually dark.  I practiced shooting it from cramped, uncomfortable positions because that's what I have in the home.  I took a look at some carbine courses and saw people doing things that I did, only better.  That bare bones pistol class taught me a lot, so...

But then I sold my AR.  I'll get another one, and I'll probably take some carbine classes.  I just want to be able to shoot one of the damn things better than I can.  Considering I'll probably be keeping it for self defense in the home it might not be a bad idea to practice doing some non static range type stuff.  Just a thought.

And I'd like to think I've got enough common sense and zest for life to GTFO if I were taking a course offered by someone where they wanted me to do something unsafe or stupid.  I mean, hell, I've put my foot down at every job I've had when it came to doing something unsafe and stupid, and I was getting paid then.

"You're just playing!"  No shit.  What the hell do you think you're doing with your pistol when you punch holes in paper? Hell, it's all playing until it ain't.  Training isn't doing, no matter where you are doing it.   

I don't want to be HSLD, I just want to be able to handle my guns competently and confidently.  I don't particularly want to be tacticool (but I do really like my Oakley gloves...'spensive, but more comfortable than anything I've ever bought at Lowe's).  I have NO desire what so ever to join the military, and no need to pretend I'm one of them:  I hate running, I have ethical issues with that little oath you have to swear, and the idea of taking orders from a President Bush or President Obama frankly scares the shit out of me.  I'm a loner, always have been.  I'm just little ol' me, and I want to have little ol' me skills. 

That said, there is a lot of shady shit out there.  You're an idiot if you pay an idiot to show you how to be a bigger idiot.  And no amount of training compares to the real thing.  Of course, the right kind of training is kind of a good idea.  I've got the not shooting myself in the foot part down.  Is it a bad thing if I want to take that a little farther. 

I've been thinking about getting together with a buddy of mine and doing some stuff with airsoft pistols.  I've got a pretty good chunk of land, and we could probably set up a few surprises for each other.  I've always thought the best training you could have was to learn to deal with the unexpected calmly and decisively.  The airsoft things would seem to be a good way to do that, especially if I could get a decent group of people involved and figure out a way to make things random.

Anyway, enough random thoughts. 

No comments: