Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Keep your laws off my food.

It is no ones business how salty my food is, nor is it within the governments legitimate powers to regulate the sale of salty food. I like my salty snacks. But nanny state says, "No salt for you!"

U.S. regulators are planning a push to gradually cut the amount of salt Americans consume, saying less sodium would reduce deaths from hypertension and heart disease, The Washington Post reported on Tuesday.

The effort would eventually lead to the first legal limits on the amount of salt allowed in processed foods, the newspaper reported. The plan is to be launched this year but officials have not set salt limits.

The government plans to work with the food industry
and health experts to reduce sodium gradually over a period of years to ratchet down sodium consumption, the newspaper said, citing U.S. Food and Drug Administration sources.


Thank you health care bill.

U.S. researchers said in a recent study that working with the food industry to cut salt intake by nearly 10 percent could prevent hundreds of thousands of heart attacks and strokes over several decades and save the U.S. government $32 billion in healthcare costs.

2 comments:

Kris said...

Wanted to say first that I really love the title.

As for the rest--are you fucking kidding me? They're going to pass laws for our own good now, huh? I happen to be pretty damned healthy--who are they to decide for me what I should or shouldn't eat?

Fucking stupid. I'm moving to Finland.

RobertM said...

Thanks! I thought the title was rather clever.

And no. Not kidding you. A couple of states have been doing this on their level, but this is the inevitable outcome of the recent health care bill. If the health of every person is the responsibility of the federal government (via taxes) then the federal government is responsible for making sure you are taking care of yourself (whether you like it or not).