Monday, March 23, 2009

On Being Single

You know, I've been single now for a while. It's not all bad, but it's really not my prefered status. I like sharing my life with someone. It's not necessary, but it's nice to be able to have all those perks a significant other brings to your life.

Anyway, I was thinking, and have thought many times before, that one of the worst parts of being single for me is sleeping alone. And I'm not talking about sex here. Sex is a whole different subject entirely.

No, I just mean having someone to snuggle up to. Someone there to hold onto after a bad dream, or just because. Someone to let you know you're not the last person on earth when you wake up with a a feeling of dread in the middle of the night.

Sure, I have, and will continue to live without that. I value my independance, my ability to take care of myself by myself. But that doens't mean I don't prefer having someone else to share the burden. A little mutual given and take.

I've sometimes wondered if I set my standards to high, but in the end I know I haven't. What I want is pretty simple,and settling for less will only leave me always wondering if something better will come along.

I guess my only fear in that regard is that I will fail to recognize that I've got what I want when I've got it. That's a possibility. I hope that doesn't come to pass. I'm pretty good at seeing things for what they are, but you never know.

Well, I guess this is enough of a rambling stream of conscious blog post for now.

Until next time!

No comments: