Monday, January 12, 2009

Did I Jinx Myself!?!

Okay. Today was not fun. Not fun at all. Point in fact, I was a miserable son of a bitch for most of the day.

Today's job was adding some lights to a new gazebo one of our more affluent customers recently had built. These are very good customers. They want what they want, and they're more than willing to pay for it. As such, we give it to them.

Well, in order to get a circuit to the lights to make them work we had to dig a trench/ditch from the gazebo to the house. This meant routing around shrubbery, water pipes, and gas lines (this house is pretty much maxed out with everything it could possibly have...we're talking chandeliers in the bathrooms!).

Anyway, guess who got to do a good deal of the digging?

If you guessed Bozo the Clown, go back to start. If you guessed me, then you're a winner!

So, the soil...not soil...it was rock, with a smattering of dirt thrown in just for shits and giggles. And of course, all the rock is glued together by that wonderful Alabama Red Clay. If you're not familiar with Alabama Red Clay let me give you a bit of advice...stay away from it...far away. You could build a tornado proof house with this stuff.

My length of the trench (which measured about six inches wide by twelve inches deep and twenty to twenty-five feet long...in a very roundabout way) took me a good six hours to dig. Yeah. Six. Fucking. Hours. I did a lot of the digging on me knees in order to be able to see the ground since I was digging amongst a bunch of huge freakin' shrubs. Freakin' Knights of Ni would love that place.

Anyway, did I mention that the 'shrubs' were taller than me and covered in leaves that had six sharp pointy ends? Oh, yes. My arms are covered in little tiny punctures and scratches.

So, after six hours of back breaking labor (I signed up to be an Electrician, not a ditch digger!! *shrug*) in my own personal hell I finally linked my trench to the other guy's.

I was elated. I felt an immense sense of relief.

That is, until, while cleaning the rubble from the ditch I hit a water pipe which burst and began filling my nice new trench with gallons of water. I sputtered a few profanities while looking around for a water main shut off valve and shouting for help from my boss and co-workers.

Luckily, the pipe was for the sprinkler system and the home owners' house man (that's the best title I have for him) turned it off.

Fortune found me again in that the boss wasn't really mad about it. And it's an easy fix which we'll perform tomorrow (rather than the home owner call a plumber and get raped for what is essentially a simple repair).

Regardless of my boss's lack of ire, I still feel a bit like an idiot. I was grumbling all day, and then I go screw up.

Well, I survived, and with the help of a good friend I even managed to smile after all was said and done.

And I feel I must look on the bright side. At least I didn't puncture the gas line. The consequence of that might have been rather...explosive.

Yeah, I know. Very cheesy. I couldn't help myself.

4 comments:

Ave said...

Bwahahaha! Priceless. I know it wasn't very much fun at the time, but you made me laugh a couple times. Sorry it was such a bad day. ;)

Sarcastic Bastard said...

And here is the best part...after fixing it we had to go back again and fix it a second time after the pipe broke again.

Ave said...

Oh. Em. Gee! You poor thing. Go take a nice long soak in a warm bath. I know it's a few days late, but you can do it anyway. ;D

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Hot bath...that would be SO nice. However, having almost no heat where I live along (just a space heater...I know, I'm crazy) and the bath tub is far too small. I will, however, be taking a hot shower soon!