Thursday, November 27, 2008

Pain

Have you ever been in such pain that you blacked out, or nearly blacked out? I have, on three occasions.

The first time was a near blackout caused by a very painful emotionl experience the details of which I don't feel like sharing.

The second time was a near total blackout when I nearly crushed my pelvis while working with some heavy equipment at WalMart. I remember the pain being so bad, but in a distant sort of way as if I could not process it. I was walking away from where it happened and I suddenly got tunnel vision and my hearing went. The next thing I knew the floor was rushing up at me. I guess I came too just in time to catch myself and stand back up.

The third time was this morning. I was shooting a shotgun. Unfortunately, my better reason escaped me and I decided to shoot it one handed. The result was painful. I looked at my hand to find a nice puncture in the web of my hand between my thumb and index finger caused by the lever that breaks the single shot break-away 12-GA for loading and extracting spent shells. The wound was bloody and when I moved my thumb the hole gaped wide.

My only thought was, "Oh, you idiot," as I went to the sink and rinsed it with ice cold water. It hurt, but like the time I almost crushed myself it hurt in a distant way. The most intense thing I felt was a sense of almost overwhelming nausea and some dizzyness. As I continued to rinse my hand in the cold water, which seemed to provide some relief while at the same time intensifying the pain (*shrug*), I leaned my head against the cabinets over the sink and closed my eyes.

The next thing I can clearly remember is the confusion caused by the fact that my senses where telling me I was lying down when the last I knew I had been standing upright. I opened my eyes to see that I was indeed flat on my back on the kitchen floor. A stool I keep in the kitchen was lying on it's side next to me.

I had just missed bashing the back of my head on my stove by about a foot. My glasses had tumbled off into a corner. I managed to pick myself up off the floor and stumble into the living room to stretch out on the couch for a few minutes. Once everything seemed to stop spinning I performed some first aid.

I could probably use a couple of stitches, and I'm sure they'd love to stick me with a fresh tetanus shot, but I'm declining to go sit in an emergency room all day and pay $3,000+ for a small wound I feel competant enough to handle. If tetanus shots are good for as long as they claim, I'm good there. Besides, stitches would probably just be torn out anyway so I used something else and hopefully I won't be out of action for long.

So I guess today I'm thankful for a four day weekend to heal up before I have to go back to work.

1 comment:

Ave said...

I dunno if I'm turning into a pansy or if my imagination is just getting better, but reading stuff like this lately makes me sick. lol

Used to be I could read anything. Not so much anymore. Wow, that really sounds like it hurt. And, I totally understand about things feeling better at the same time it makes them feel worse. Like if I have a toothache and I gnash my teeth together, it does both at once. Weird, but true. ;)