Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: A Review

Just so you can't scream I didn't tell you, this is a review intended for those who have seen the movie.

I just finished watching Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I did not have the opportunity to see it in theaters and after an assortment of mixed reviews I had my doubts as to whether or not I would enjoy it. I rented it today and I have to say that after watching it...I LOVED IT!

The story was something completely new...yet a subject I've always thought would make an interesting movie/story/book/whatever so I can't say I was disappointed. I enjoyed the play between the characters Mutt and Indy. I thought the change in Indiana's attitude toward Mutt after he finds out that they are father and son was hilarious. And this movie had one of the best endings I have ever seen. It made me laugh and ask, "When will the next one be out?!"

Now, I won't lie and say they're not some disappointments in this movie. I don't think the Soviets made a very convincing enemy. They just were not as menacing as the Nazis. I can't quite put my finger on why, but they weren't. I guess they just never came close enough in the movie to winning to make them seem like a real threat. I also think that there was a lot of stuff thrown in that just wasn't necessary (the natives towards the end of the movie should have been left our...OR when they were slaughtered by the Soviets it should have been in such a way that made you feel some real horror instead of the muted way in which it was done).

Watching some of the special features I learned that Mutt's character was originally going to be a girl. That is, a daughter instead of a son. Personally, I think that would have been a better way to go. And I think the main villain should have been a male character, or at least a much more menacing female (that could have been portrayed against a strong female heroine!).

Anyway, to sum up, there were some really great lines in the movie and some funny scenes that fit the whole Indiana Jones series very well. Overall, I liked it a lot and I'll buy it sometime. I've got my complaints, but I enjoyed it. I wish I had seen it in theaters. And I sincerely hope there are more to come because it can be done.

No comments: