Sunday, March 4, 2007

My Wonderful Day

I should be at school, or at least almost there by now. But that's not happening. Here's why.

I needed to pick up a few things so I decided to go by WalMart's Neighborhood Market because it's close to my apartment and they do cheap money orders (I need to pay the rent). So I grab what I need, nix the money order because the line is too long, skip the short line because it is CASH ONLY, and go to one of the self-checkout registers. No big deal, right?

Wrong. I scan my ice cream and slide it down to the bags. I scan my two liter...and apparently it was the wrong weight and the machine started screaming "try again, try again." So I tried again. And it scanned. I roll it, and TRY to scan the second two liter. It won't scan. Then the whole machine freezes up and says assistence is on the way. I wait. And wait. And wait.

Finally I took a page out of my grandfather's book and left the shit there and walked out. Fuck WalMart. Fuck them in the ass.

I decided then to make the five minute longer trip to Publix. The prices are a bit higher, but they have enough human cashiers that you can check out without standing in line for twenty minutes. I got everything I need except the ice cream (I didn't really need it anyway) and checked out. Four two liter drinks, a pound of hamburger meat, a box of hamburger helper, a gallon of milk, 12 packages of ramen noodles and all of it for under twenty bucks. I pay, the kid bagging the stuff puts the last bag into my shopping cart, and then the kid looks at me and says, "Need any help carrying that out, Sir?"

You've got to be fucking kidding me? This kid is half my size and he is asking me if I need help getting less than twenty dollars worth of groceries to my car by myself?

I looked at him, arched one of my eyebrow, and realize he is dead serious or has the best poker face I have ever seen. Then I smiled, said, "No thanks, I think I can handle it," and walked out.

All in all I'm thinking of sticking to doing all of my grocery shopping at Publix from now on. It was just a more pleasant and quick experience.

Just now though I'm thinking of having a few beers and calling out of work.

3 comments:

jhileb said...

i hate self checkouts.  imho, it allows the business to eliminate labor and benefits which is quite costly and still not lower prices for the consumer...while having the consumer now do the work that they are still paying someone to do. that pisses me off, besides the fact that they are a pain in the rear and your story is an excellent example.  another reaosn i don't shop at walmart or any of their specialty stores.  i can't stand long checkout lines and self checkout registers. home depot is similiar...too damn greedy.  publix is a decent company and an esop, so it's employee owned.

j.h.

rampage841512 said...

Yeah, I hate self checkout for the same reasons.  But, since I work at WalMart and my aunt used to be in asset control for different places I know that they cost the company far more than they save.  It is freakishly easy to rip them off.  That's what you get when you try to screw people, I guess.  

all4eyez said...

Yea Publix