Saturday, September 2, 2006

I hate Sony!

Sony announced a new product in January.  It's called the Sony Reader.  I don't have the time or skills to drop a link on you, so google.

I really, really, really want to buy one of these.  I mean really.  This is a wonderful piece of technology.  I absolutely love it. 

Basically, this thing allows you to read ebooks without having to lug around a computer.  It's about the size of a paper back, and it uses eInk technology so that it is as visible as paper.  You can read it indoors and outdoors and still see the screen clearly.  Anyone who has used a computer outside or had sun shining on your monitor knows how great this is.

And if you love reading, you can see the appeal of this thing.  It is the reading world's answer to the iPod.  I read multiple books at once, so it would allow me to carry everything I am reading in a small package.  And for those who don't read like me, I know damn well how annoying it is to be somewhere and finish a book...and then not have another to pick up, or the next of a trilogy or duology, etc. 

The Reader was announced in January, with a release date for spring.  It has since been moved up to fall.  The last I've heard that it will be available in time for the holidays.  I'm tired of waiting, and I hope Sony can keep the deadline this time.  I really want to get my hands on one of these things.  I suggest anyone who reads regularly go check the specs out.  It's quite nice.

And I'm so tired of waiting.

3 comments:

jhileb said...

very cool.  although with sony's recent and ongoing problems/issues in quality i'd be more inclined for them to wait another 1 year to release it and have it work, rather than right away and have it fail.  hopefully the price will be reasonable? any word on that yet....pricing i mean?


j.h.

rampage841512 said...

Yeah, I want it to work too.  But I'm just frustrated with waiting and felt like venting.  Hopefully it will be available, and working, by Christmas.  

Anyway, as far as price goes I've heard that it should be under $400.  The only other reader I've seen that uses eInk is over $800, but it also has some other nice features that, I think, explain the higher price.  It's made by a company called iRex.  The item itself is the iLiad.  Looks nice, but a bit pricey for me.

jhileb said...

good info, thanks for taking the time.

j.h.