Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Movie Night (Beware...spoilers)

I saw X-Men: The Last Stand tonight.  It was a really good movie that rounded out the trilogy well.  There were some unexpected things in the movie, which is always good.  There were also some things I didn't like.

I liked the way the movie was able to juggle a lot of competing moral issues and really manage to not leave you feeling like maybe the bad guy is right.  They basically show you how Magneto may appear to have a good point, but that he is just like those he claims to be fighting (that is, those who would commit genocide). 

I also liked the way the 'cure' to mutation was debated in the movie.  It reminded me, as I'm sure it was supposed to, of the abortion debate.  And it left me with the same feeling that choice is better than no choice. 

What I didn't like about this movie was the fact that they seem to have completely ignored the fact that the Phoenix (Jean Grey) was a GOOD GUY.  The only aspect of the Phoenix we see in this movie would be Dark Phoenix (the bad version when Jean goes insane).  I'm sure I'm not the only one who was pissed off by this...but I admit it does clean up loose ends that only ten more movies could have otherwise dealt with. 

I also didn't like the fact that they killed off first Cyclops (killed by the woman who loves him??? I understood the reasoning, but I didn't buy it), Professor X (also by Jean Gray...this also didn't make much sense as he was more of a father to her than her own father), and finally Jean Gray herself (this death and its circumstances made sense, but only if you're willing to buy the first two, which I will for the sake of the movie).

I liked the ending.  The school remains.  Wolverine remains my favorite character (as he always has been...we've got a lot in common).  And the very end shows a scene with Magneto (now a human after being given the 'cure') sitting alone in Golden Gate Park at a Chess table with metal chess pieces which makes me speculate that the cure may not be permanent.  He puts his hand out as if to guide a piece with his power and the screen abruptly goes blank and the credits role. 

I like the possibility this opening presents, but after killing off three of your most essential characters I don't see any further movies coming.  I think at this point it should be left alone. 

And that, is that.  It's not the comic book X-Men, but I can live with it.  At least they didn't totally fuck it up as they have with some comic book movies...remember The Hulk?

2 comments:

autumnsavril said...

I remember watching this thinking, "WTF?  They killed CYCLOPSE?!  And Professor X?  You can't KILL Professor X!!"

On the other hand, a friend of mine said that if you stayed and watched the credits through to the very end you find out that Professor X does NOT die--as they show in a three-second clip.  I'm very angry that Clint was rushing me out now.

Matter of fact, he tried to leave when there were still three or four minutes left.  I was like, "Dude, slow DOWN!"  Anyway, it's a shame to think that was probably the last of the X-Men movies, but really, no Rogue, no Cyclopse, no Jean Grey, and chances of no Professor X, what's left?  I thought they should have made Archangel a more prominent character.  I don't really see how he played a very important role to this movie.  And I never did see Gambit.  ::cries::  I've always thought Gambit was really cool.

I thought the cure added a lot of really great drama to the movie, and made internal conflicts, such as in Rogue's case, to make the movie a lot more interesting.  I loved it, though I've never EVER liked the love triangle between Wolverine, Cyclopse, and Jean Grey, and wish they'd done away with it for the movies.

Avril

rampage841512 said...

I always liked the love triangle...but that's just me.  

I didn't wait through the entire credits either, I don't like it when they do something at the very end unless they let me know it's going to be there.  I don't care who the freakin' gaffer was!