Thursday, November 10, 2005

Review of "The Crime of Padre Amaro"

Okay, this movie sucked.  I already knew that Catholics were very Machiavellian.  Their Church is centered in Italy, remember?  Now, I don't really have anything against the Catholic Church.  I grew up in a family full of Catholics.  In fact, if I had actually picked a Christian church it would have been a Roman Catholic Church. 

Anyway, the only thing I am going to say about this movie is that the Padre's greatest crime in not lust, as you would assume, or fornication, as you might also assume.  It's murder.  He doesn't commit it, but he is the cause of it. 

This movie is all about various RC priests, not just Amaro, living with an 'ends justifies the means' mentality.  We also learn that Amaro has only taken a vow of celibacy because he was forced too.  This doesn't really matter, but to laymen it will seem profound.

To be celibate means not to marry.  To be chaste means not to have sex.  Amaro never intended to marry the girl he was screwing, so his celibacy was not at risk.  A lot of people don't realize this distinction.  The vow of celibacy was created in order to keep bishops and other ranking church members from setting up dynasties by fathering legitimate sons.  This allowed the secular authorties to appoint bishops and what not in ancient times and control the church.

There, a movie and a history lesson.

2 comments:

all4eyez said...

LOL
And this is a movie you BOUGHT?
WOW.

I hear you about the subtitles , sometimes it gives me a headache , as I am watching the movie and looking at the bottom of the screen to read the words quickly enough before they disappear.
But then again , that doesn't really stop me from watching foreign movies either.
As a matter of fact , I really like foreign movies.

I don't know about those spanish movies though.

This movie sounds interesting enough , but I am wondering what were your grounds for purchasing it?

rampage841512 said...

I thought it would be more exciting than it was.  There wasn't enough tension though.  It was a tragedy, and I was expecting a romance...lol