Friday, November 18, 2005

I fucking hate Feds.

I got a letter today from the Department of the Treasury.  It came in a big, thick envelope.  I knew it wouldn't be good news.  The government never sends you good news.  It just doesn't happen.

Anyway, a long time ago when I was still in high school my grandfather said that some US savings bonds he had purchased in my name never arrived.  He filed a claim and new bonds were issued.  This was years ago, back when I was still just learning to drive. 

Apparently I cashed two of those "missing" bonds because they were never lost after all.  I now owe the Treasury Department $232 and change.  The fucking greedy bastards.  A huge corporation can screw thousands of people out of their pensions and doesn't have to pay a red cent back, but they're after me for a measly two hundred bucks?  Now, given, people should pay their debts, but fuck me running, couldn't you give a guy a break?

Frankly, I don't have the money.  I don't even know if I can cover my bills this month without cashing in my last bond.  And now I have to worry about getting another letter if I cash that one in.  This really sucks.  I think I am going to go to my grandfather and tell him to cut a check.  It's his fuck up after all.  And he owes me a favor anyway. 

It seems like every time I start to get ahead a little bit something unexpected comes up.  Why does this shit happen?  After living on my own for nine months I have nothing but sympathy for everyone out there doing what I am doing.  You almost can't get ahead in this world if you don't have money from the start.  It's a total uphill battle. 

3 comments:

jhileb said...

oh i guess i should welcome you to the club..since you just got your membership, lol!:)

so welcome to the nonsense!:)

j.h.

autumnsavril said...

LOL, J . . .

Robbie, yup.  There is *always* something you're not expecting that will happen when you think you are just going to be okay.  It'll happen again.

Avril

rampage841512 said...

I need to get my oil changed too...