Sunday, November 6, 2005

"No, I am your father."

And that line is why The Empire Strikes Back ranks as my favorite of the Star Wars movies.  I try not to compare them to each other, because they are all amazing...from a certain point of view. 

Other reasons for this being my favorite are the Battle of Hoth, and Darth Vader and Luke's lightsaber duel.  And then there is the scene in the end where Darth Vader walks off of the bridge of his Super Star Destroyer after they have once again failed to capture the Falcon...and he doesn't kill anyone.  He just walks away.  The whole crew is tensed, waiting for that crushing force grip on the throat...and it doesn't come.  Darth Vader is...not angry.  He's just resigned to losing his son, and not being able to bring him over to his side.  I'd say this is the scene where we see a sad Darth Vader.  He lost his wife...and now his son.  So sad. 

Anyway, just in case you're wondering, I rank the movies like this:

1. The Empire Strikes Back

2. Attack of the Clones

3. Revenge of the Sith

4. Return of the Jedi

5. The Phantom Menace

6. A New Hope

4 comments:

autumnsavril said...

I have been dying to see Sith.  Is it really as good as everyone says it is?

Ave

rampage841512 said...

Better.

jhileb said...

i rank them like this....

1. empire strikes back....no need to say anymore... the best of the first three.

2. star wars...sorry i don't know the actual name....great film for it's time.

that's it.  return of the jedi...i can't stand puppets and lucas went crazy on this one, and it ruined it for me.

the new stuff...prequels....can't stand them.  i was the only person who walked out on number 4 and said it sucked.  maybe i got to old to "get it"??  maybe it was too close to return in silly puppets...whether computer generated or the old style??  don't know, but i'm happy with just the two.  i admit i'm in the minority...but i feel lucas really blew this saga...just my opinion though.

i did see the clone wars and i thought it was better than number 4, but still boring to me...although natalie portman is nice to look at, so..........:)

i skipped the last one and likely won't tune in to see it.

j.h.

rampage841512 said...

I always liked the Star Wars story more than the Star Wars films.  The media never really mattered to me.  There are upwards of a hundred Star Wars books, and I've read most of them.  A lot of the stuff in the prequels I had imagined, but never actually seen.  Jedi at their height, for instance.  My favorite scene is in Episode II where a wall of jedi weilding lightsabers crashes into a wall of battle droids.  That many jedi fighting together was something I always wanted to see.  

If you liked the battle scenes in the movies, especially the lightsaber duels, I would suggest you see Sith.  It's worth it just for that.  And aside from Yoda and General Grievous, there is no real puppet stuff.  And no JarJar, except in one deleted scene, if I remember correctly.

Then again, I don't mind a little animation either, so it's easier for me to get past a lot of that.  It was hard for episode I, but it's done in so many movies now I just got over it.  I've never really looked at movies from an artistic viewpoint anyway.  I always liked them for pure entertainment value.  As long as the story is well told, I could care.  But that's me.