Tuesday, November 8, 2005

2,000 Words

Two thousand words is about the same as ten double spaced, typed pages.  That is my goal in writing.  Two Thousand Words. 

Every.  Single.  Day.

I know I can do it.  I've almost done it today, and it actually went quickly.  I tried this before, but I messed up too.  I thrive under pressure.  If I start to slack off, I start to screw up.  That's just the way I am.  So no slacking this time. 

Last time my goal was one thousand words everyday, except Sunday, which I picked to be my off day for no reason other than I didn't feel like working one Sunday.  I'm not doing that this time.  I'll just have to make the time for my two thousand words. 

If I do that, I can have a nice sized novel finished by January.  Then I'll put it away for a while (maybe six months), and then I'll pull it out and revise, revise, revise.  Then I'll either look for a publisher or I'll put it away again.  I also mean to keep pumping out short stories.  I think I should push for one a week.  So one to two days a week should be devoted to short story writing. 

And I've got a lot of reading to do too.  This would be overwhelming if it wasn't for the fact that I love it.  See, here is a little secret most writers never mention to anyone:  when we write, we become Gods.  We are all powerful and all knowing in the realities we create. 

Now that's a thrill, if you ask me.

No comments: