Sunday, July 3, 2005

Some people go to church on Sunday...

But not me.  I'm no Christian, so I've got no place in a church.  But you should already know that.  No, I've got my own little ritual for Sunday.  It's something I've just started doing, and hopefully something I will keep doing for a long time.  Why?  Because it's fun!

My Sunday ritual is target practice.  The only way to sharpen my skills with a rifle is to practice, practice, practice.  So that is exactly what I am doing.  And it's something I enjoy too.  But it's also a bit expensive.  While .223 ammo isn't the most expensive it is putting a dent in my bank account so I'm thinking of picking up a Ruger 10/22 so that I can start using .22 ammo, which is a whole lot cheaper.  Not too mention easy to find.

I don't know when I'll be buying one.  I might wait until I've saved up some money for it.  That would be the smartest thing to do.  For now, I can afford ten or twenty dollars a week for .223 ammo.

Anyway, check out the pictures.  They are of my attempts to "pit" an Ace at about fifty yards using open sites.  An expert marksman could easily do this at twice the distance.  I didn't do it once.  But I came close.  I should also point out that an expert marksman has shot a gun more than three times in the past six months and would also be using a scope. 

3 comments:

rampage841512 said...

P.S.  If you have any interest in shooting I recommend you check out John Ross's website.  It's pretty interesting.  Oh, and read his book...even if you have no interest in shooting.

jhileb said...

your seriously freaking me out! wodden staffs, mages and warlocks and d&d, and now guns and shooting!

just kidding..i used to shoot cans and other things back when i was a kid in pennsylvania in the mountains.  a great aunt owns an entire ridge (aka small mountain), and she'd let me run all over and shoot crap at will on one side, so i wouldn't hit her house, lol!  i used to have a blast. always used a .22 cal. easy, cheap, and fun all the way around, imho.  just don't shoot yourself in the foot!:)

j.h.

rampage841512 said...

It's my mission in life to be weird.  Where's the fun in not getting under anyone's skin?

I learned to shoot with a .22.  I'm thinking of getting one soon.  It will definitely save me some money on ammo.