Monday, July 18, 2005

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince...some spoil, though nothing big

I just finished it.  As can be expected from an author of Rowling's caliber it was very well written and I enjoyed every minute of it.   That said, the book at first eases up from the dark tone of The Order of the Pheonix, but by the end had plunged back in.

My only complaint as far as the story goes is that the ending did nothing but remind me of the movie Spider Man.  I was very dissappointed by this.  It seems obvious to me that if people know you care about someone, and if they want to hurt you, seperating yourself from that person is not going to stop them from going after that person.  You may feel you're doing something noble, but in the end you are only causing the one you care about and yourself to suffer unnecessarily. The danger will always be there as long as your feelings remain. 

The fact that the end also takes place at a funeral reminded me of Spider Man, too.  I think the ending, except for the 'We can't be together because it's too dangerous for you' scene was quite appropriate.  I'll be looking forward to the next book in the series. 

I won't lie, this book ends on a sad note.  The story is definitely much darker now.  I think it will continue to be until the central conflict is ultimately resolved, one way or another.

1 comment:

autumnsavril said...

Don't tell me the little girl and the main character fall in love . . . that would be so damn typical.

Avril