Wednesday, July 6, 2005

The Great Bottle Rocket War...and other recent adventures

For the Fourth I went over to John and Jennifer's.  Jennifer grilled hot dogs and hamburgers and we all stuffed ourselves while watching bad tv and waiting for dark.  Not that many people showed up, but it was enough to be fun.  Jason came, which is cool.  Jeremy was there.  Logan showed up around dark.  John's hot cousin Samantha was there with two of her FUFs (Fat Ugly Friends). 

When dark came all of the guys loaded up on bottle rockets, roman candles, artillery shells, and fire crackers.  We went out into this big field beside John's house and went at it.  Let me tell you, it was fun.  We had a strobe light set up and bottle rockets were flying around and fire crackers were exploding everywhere.  Flaming projectiles from roman candles were flying around.  And lets not forget the artillery shells, those things that fly way up in the air and explode in all the pretty colors?  They were going off at our feet, literally.  It was like a night time battle in Vietnam.  I would say Iraq but the humidity is more jungle like and there was lots of grass and trees.

It was really fun, except for a few disappointments.  That girl Jeremy works with, Amber, went MIA from work for a couple of days and Jeremy couldn't get her on the phone.  I didn't bother trying.  I might call her today, I don't know.  Stephanie thought about coming but decided to go to work for some overtime instead.  I had to work that night too so I understood.  I get double time for holidays.

Anyway, as I was leaving I was saying goodbye to everyone and I got a hug from Samantha.  That was kind of odd.  We don't know each other that well, and I don't usually hug even then.  But I'm not complaining.  She's a nice girl, but wild. 

Work sucked, of course.  But it could have been much worse.  It always can be.  I've heard about another overnight job at this place that supplies the Mercedes plant here.  What I've heard is that the job is relatively easy, pays $14.75 per hour, with a $.75 raise after 90 days and then another every six months.  You have five days paid vacation from day one, and ten every year.  Weekends off.  All holidays off with pay.  And insurance kicks in the first month after you start, as opposed to after six at WalMart.  I am really excited about the opportunity. 

I didn't do much yesterday.  I slept most of the day.  Talked to Stephanie a few times.  And I went to the mall.  I was looking for a leather bush hat.  Think of something you'd see a big game hunter in Africa wearing, or some guy out in the Australian bush...hence bush hat.  I found some in Wilson's leather but none in my size in the color I wanted.  I might look somewhere else.  I want it for when I go shooting so I can keep the sun out of my eyes.  And they're cool.

I going to get my car's 5,000 mile maintence done this morning.  I'm nearly four hundred miles over due.  It shouldn't cost too much since I've got a letter for a free oil change, which is awesome.  Jennifer wanted to come swimming today, but the weather looks like it is going to royally suck ass because of all the shit going done in the tropics.  Maybe I'll rent some more movies to watch tonight.  I don't know.  We'll see.

I've been reading the Chronicles of Narnia in anticipation of the movie coming out this Christmas.  So far I have finished The Magician's Nephew and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.  I've just started The Horse and His Boy.  The books are okay, I guess, but I was expecting much more.  So far I think anyone who compares it to Tolkien is making a mistake.  Tolkien is much more in depth and needs a more mature audience to deal with it's length.  These books are extremely short (about a hundred pages on average in LARGE PRINT while Tolkien averages 300-400 in small print).  My opinion may change, but I doubt.  For childrens books they fall short in my opinion as well.  Harry Potter is a much better series and so is A Series of Unfortunate Events.

5 comments:

jhileb said...

hahaha "fuf's"  that is damn funny..thanks for the laugh!  where are the pics of these hot chicks though.....share the wealth, would you?:)

j.h.

rampage841512 said...

I've found that the more attractive girls tend to be the ones who are the most camera shy.  It's a damn shame...

jhileb said...

right.  

also while i'm thinking about it....the new hyundai plant in alabama......anywhere near you?  might pay well?  just a thought.

keep your eye on dennis....it's not going to be pretty.  enjoy your weekend!

lastly since Ave. is mia, i'm going to read and post on your journal....i got to have something to entertain me while i'm supposed to be working, lol.  hope you don't mind?

j.h.

rampage841512 said...

I think the hyundai plant is to far away to be worth it.  The weather has been bad before, I'll take it in stride.

I don't mind you posting here.  Someone has to poke me with a stick and make sure I'm still alive once in a while.

autumnsavril said...

Damn.  I know I haven't been doing my job.  :(

::Pokes Robert with stick::  You alive?

Avril