Monday, May 2, 2005

Abuse of Power

In our society some of the most respected individuals are police officers.  The reason for this is that everyday they risk their lives for our well being.  To quote the famous motto, a police officer's duty is to "Protect and Serve."

As a result of their position and responsibilites, they are given quite a bit more power than an ordinary citizen.  They openly carry weapons and are authorized to use for force if necessary to carry out their duties.

However, power is a dangerous thing.  While I will not say that police officer's should not have the power they generally have, I will say that the abuse of that power should be dealt with harshly.  No quarter should be given to a dirty cop.

Tonight, at seven fifteen I was supposed to meet Stephanie in the library at UAB.  I got there right on time.  She was about fifteen minutes late.  I was not really worried because she is not the most punctual person I know. 

When she arrived I could tell something was wrong.  She just seemed on edge.  I asked her if something had her stressed out.  She told me she had been pulled over on the way to the library.  I figured that would do it, but that wasn't all.  She said when the police officer came to her car he said, "I'll let you of if you can get me off."

When I realized what she had said, I felt like spilling blood.  But I got control of myself.  I figured she might be messing with me.  She wasn't.  She was dead serious.  I found myself literally shaking with rage.

She told me that at that point she just drove off.  For some reason she had just put her car in park and had not turned off the ignition.  She said she didn't know what else to do.

I asked her what city he was from and what he looked like.  She told me, but she also told me not to do anything.  Had she not you would find that city and the description of that mother fucker in big bold letters. 

I find myself in a difficult situation.  My instinct is to protect, but Stephanie told me directly not to do anything.  She said she just wanted to forget about it and let it go.  I  refused to let her do that.  I'll be damned first.

She told me she would talk to her dad, which is good.  He has money, and being her father he'll probably want the fucker castrated.  I hope she doesn't just let it go.  She has to tell her dad. 

I'll see her again tomorrow.  She's is going to come over to study for our exam some more.  I hope she'll have talked to her dad by then.  I want to know what he has to say.

I feel helpless.  If I knew the cop's name and exactly what he looked like I'd be after his ass, no doubt about it.  Stephanie said she felt stupid for not finding out his name or doing something, but I told her it was okay.  At least she told me.  She wasn't going to until I asked her what was bothering her.  I'm glad I did.

I walked her to her car after we left the library.  I think she was a little relieved that I did.  I did it for myself as much for her.  Downtown isn't the safests place and I would have walked her anyway, but I felt more protective than usual. 

I had thought about sending in the cop's description and department to UAB's student paper and the Birmingham News, along with a couple of the local news channels.  Stephanie told me not to though.

There is only one other option left open to me until she says otherwise.  I'll use magic.  I'll protect her as best I can, and I'll see if I can cook something up for that fucking bastard to choke on,

2 comments:

autumnsavril said...

My eyes got so wide when I read this entry that they started watering.  WTF?!?!?!?!?!  This is the only thing I can think to say, except that I think Stephanie should DO something about it.  It's not something she should be embarrassed about, only angry.  And I think she has every right to take her anger out on the sorry SOB who would do something like that.  I'm glad she just drove off, too, as that could have potentially become a dangerous position for her to be in.

Please, if you must, guilt her into doing something.  How many women is this bastard taking advantage of?  Is he capable of using his position in the law to help him rape women?  Stephanie didn't wind up hurt, but that doesn't mean everyone else will be as lucky.  Very sorry to hear about the whole situation, though.

Avril

rampage841512 said...

Believe me, I intend to keep nagging her about this until she does something.  I have not talked to her in a couple of days so I don't know if she has already.  I hope so, but I don't know.  I'm still pissed off about it.  To be perfectly honest, it scares the hell of out me.I mean, what if it happens again?