Friday, July 31, 2015

Friday is my favorite day of the week.

Not for the usual reasons, but because it's my ONLY DAMN DAY OFF, and it's hotter than the surface of the sun in the Heart O' Dixie.

Image result for heatwave

I've been working six days a week for what seems like for-fucking-ever.  A couple of months now, anyway. And it also happens to be one of the hottest summers I can remember. Frankly, I'm tired of it and while the money IS good I can't help but think of how much better it would have been without the 22% pay cut that happened early this year. That, and it's all being dumped into the hole I dug myself into while we were slow.

Such is life.

Believe it or not I've found some time for shooting, though I'm damn near tapped out on ammo. I need more of this, of course. You can always benefit from more time on the range, and I would like to get in some more training before the year is out, hopefully teach some more classes too.

Still working on the novel.  It's coming along, though I've hit the fits and starts stage. I know where I want to go with, but getting there is becoming a bit of a pain. I just need to get the main plot hammered out and then fill in the rest. I have the habit of wanting to edit constantly, but I firmly believe that editing in the middle of the first draft is a time wasting trap.

Image result for it's a trap

I've had to cut down on some of my extracurricular activities both to cut costs and because of a lack of time, so my poker playing, cigar smoking, and boozing have taken a hit. It's rather a small tragedy.

But to hell with it, I'm going to keep on keeping on. Things will get better or they will get worse, and I'll handle it either way.

Image result for the beatings will continue until morale improves


3 comments:

Stephen said...

Stay the course, my friend. I want to read your book, so finish it, please. Hot as hell here too. I tried to reload some ammo out in my garage, didn't work...between the sweat and bugs it was impossible. Now I sit inside and tap out one round a minute with a Lee Loader.

Robert McDonald said...

It will get finished, not sure about the time frame though. The heat has been crazy. Luckily I've been able to stay out of attics for the most part.

Old NFO said...

Hang in there, and get the first draft done, THEN edit... :-) And you're right, it's been a crazy year!