Saturday, February 21, 2015

Training, working, playing cards, and other doings.

A little over a week ago I did my first for pay firearms training.  A couple of local firefighters came out and took the NRA First Steps Pistol course and one also took my Handgun Self Defense 1 course. They were both great students, and I really enjoyed teaching them.  

The gentleman who took both courses was the first to contact me.  The fire department he works for recently changed policy to allow the firefighters to carry in the firehouse and his thinking was that he wanted to have some training under his belt and not just strap a gun on like some of the others.  He was very attentive in both courses and frankly a damn good shooter.  I really wish I had taken a photo of his target to share.  

Both said they'd be recommending me so I hope that some further business will come way from that route.  There is something to be said for getting paid to do something you really love so I am looking forward to as much of that as I can get.

I may have mentioned that I've been playing a lot of poker.  About a year ago I started playing in a weekly poker tournament at my local cigar shop.  The game moved to a different cigar shop when one of the employees of the former started his own cigar business (which all of the regulars were VERY happy about), and I've played almost every week.  We alternate weekly from Texas Hold'em to Omaha Hi, both no limit games.  I've always enjoyed poker, but I've gained a new appreciation for the game.

Work has been slow the last couple of months so the training and poker have actually helped supplement my income a bit.  I also recently worked a day for my old boss doing some commercial electrical work.  I bought a new truck in December so every little bit extra coming in helps a lot.

I'm reading a lot, as always.  I've been doing a lot of rereading so that is slowing down the Robert's Picks posts a bit, but hopefully I'll have a new one out before too long.  I've also been writing some fiction, though I don't know if it'll ever be finished or see the light of day.  I've always been fascinated by colonial era Africa so I wanted to write something in the vein of the biographies of the great adventures but with a modern portrayal of sex and violence.  I know that's not everyone's cup of tea, but most of my favorite stories contain a fair amount of both.  I like pulpy fiction, and that's what I thought would be fun to write.  

This coming Monday I have jury duty in local district court, and I've also got a summons for Federal district court jury duty on Friday.  This is my first time, so of course I get two summons in the same week.  And it happens to be at a time when I really can't afford to miss work.  I don't even have a clue as to what, if any, compensation my employer gives for jury duty.  

Oh, well.  Tonight it is raining, though thankfully it's not too cold, and I have Guinness Stew on the stove so I'm going to try to have a pleasant evening and rest up for another day on the job tomorrow.

One last thing!  If you're an Amazon Prime member check out the show "Bosch" on Amazon Instant Video.  It's based on Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch books and I've enjoyed the first four episodes a great deal.

No comments: