Friday, May 16, 2014

On The Range #93: S&W M&P Shield 9mm


Picked up an M&P Shield 9mm today after wanting one for quite a while. The price was right and I had the money to spend so it followed me home. Initial impressions are very positive. I have a locally made IWB holster I picked up for it and it completely disappears on my body. The holster is not exactly what I want as the draw is a bit tricky from it so I have another on the way.


As soon as I got it home I hit the back yard range for a little Dot Torture.  Back blast from the muzzle was a lot more than I am used to from shooting my G17 so much but easily overcome. Recoil is noticably greater than a full size pistol as well, which is to be expected, but easily manageable.

This is a very accurate little gun. I shot it as well as my G17 at 3 yards for the Dot Torture drill. I was able to make some nice little groups with the 50 rounds of Winchester white box I was firing. I had one flyer which kept me from a perfect 50/50 score.


The gun fits well in my hands. It is most comfortable with the 8 round magazine with the grip extension but I was not troubled by the flush fit 7 rounder.  The 7 rounder has the potential to be an issue if you are not careful to be sure it is fully seated. I made this mistake once.

All in all I like it a lot. I am looking forward to more range time with it. I want to see how it performs at greater distances and I also need to do some ammo testing. My Winchester Ranger +p+ ammo that I carry in the Glock is a no go so I need to find some standard pressure stuff it will eat up.

3 comments:

Odysseus said...

I've been carrying mine in a pocket holster for a couple of weeks now, it's been nice.

Old NFO said...

Nicely done! And that is a dang good target with a brand new gun!!!

Robert McDonald said...

Odysseus-I love carrying it so far. Might pick up a pocket holster and give it a try.

NFO-Thanks!