Thursday, March 27, 2014

On The Range #92: Dry Fire

Ah, dry fire. Ask any firearms instructor or professional shooter what you can do to make yourself a better shooter and you can gaurantee he or she will suggest dry fire. And they are correct.

The problem with dry fire is that like running for fitness it sucks. It's not fun and it's boring. It's pure work and most people hate pure work. But if you want to excell you have to do it.

I'm trying to get out and do more shooting, and on those days I can't I am trying to do some dry fire. Today was one of those days where getting outside on the range was going to be a huge pain so I decided dry fire it is.

Here's the routine I worked using my CED7000 shot timer:

Draw and Fire
At the start signal, draw and fire one dry shot on the target. Reset.
20 repititions freestyle
20 repititions strong hand only

Fire weak hand only
Start with gun in weak hand at 45 degree angle. At start signal, come up and fire one dry shot on the target. Reset.
20 repititions

Shooting from ready position
Start with gun in ready position. At start signal press out and fire one dry shot on target. Reset.
20 repititions

Multiple targets
Start with gun in holster. At start signal, engage one target to the left, then one to the right. For the second shot I did a firm press on the dead trigger while maintaining sight alignment. On the transition I worked on moving my eyes to the target and then bringing the sights to my eyes to avoid overswinging the target.
20 repititions

I want to try and get in the habit of doing this at keast once a week. That will give me something like 60 good draws and 100 good trigger presses.

3 comments:

Erin Palette said...

That's the ONE complaint I have with how my Glock works: I can't dry-fire multiple times without racking the slide each time.

Robert McDonald said...

That is why I want a SIRT.

Old NFO said...

A SIRT is WELL worth the money for dryfire practice!