Thursday, September 19, 2013

Much Ado About Nothing: The Starbucks Thing

Starbucks policy regarding the carrying of firearms in their stores has not changed. They have requested weapons not be carried in their stores but have maintained that if someone does they will be welcomed and served and not asked to leave unless they create a disturbance (anyone who creates a disturbance will be asked to leave).

Please carefully read this rather than listen to the Chicken Littles.

Starbucks request has exactly the same import as me walking into a Starbucks, placing an order, and saying, "I don't want you to charge me. I'll still pay you and thank you if you do, but charging me is not welcome. Please don't charge me."  

Antigun people claiming this is a victory are idiots. Progun people claiming this is a loss are also idiots. And progun people demanding a boycott are just as fucking stupid as the antigun people who started this mess when they threatened a boycott if Starbucks did not institute a change in policy.

Blaming open carriers for a setback that did not happen is both irrational and counter productive. Even after they put on an over the top flamboyant show during the various appreciation days (a result of antigun group demands for a boycott) Starbucks still didn't change policy.

But of course the "concealed carry only" Nazis, once again adopting the tactics of antigunners don't care about silly little things like facts.

And in regards to respecting business owner's rights, why would I show any respect for bigots? In my nine years of carrying a handgun I have only twice carried one openly in public. Now I feel like doing it more and making a point to stop by a Starbucks. Why? For the same reason I'd want to go holding my partner's hand if I was a gay man and Starbucks had asked that same sex couples not have public displays of affection in their stores because a small group of bigits made a stink about it. Because fuck them, that's why.

No comments: