Monday, July 29, 2013

On The Range #90: NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program

Until a couple of months ago I was unaware of the NRA-Winchester Marksmanship Qualification Program.  I first saw something about it on Facebook Facebook via Claude Warner of Roger's Shooting School fame, looked into it, and then forgot about it. Our training counselor reminded me of it in my NRA pistol instructor course.

It covers just about every type of shooting there is, the most recent addition being Defensive Pistol.  The courses of fire are relatively easy, but do require a certain amount of skill.  It's run on the honor system except for the highest rank, Distinguished Expert, which requires an NRA member witness.

The ranks are Pro Marksman, Marksman, Marksman 1st Class, Sharpshooter, Expert, and Distinguished Expert.  Each rank must be earned consecutively.  There is no shooting for a higher rank until you've earned the previous rank. You can take as long as you wish to earn each rank.  NRA membership is not required to participate.

Today I shot my way to Expert with my Glock 17 in Defensive Pistol I.  

Rushed my last string of fire so I reshot that, hence the flyers.

This will be cakewalk for veteran shooters, but it's still fun to do. There are patches, pins, skill level rockers, and certificates for each rank so this is a great way to hook new shooters and keep them shooting, especially kids.  

I'm going to shoot my way to Expert in Defensive Pistol II, and then get a friend to witness me shoot Distinguished Expert in both. I think the certificates and patches will make nice wall hangers and conversation pieces. I'm also going to try to get as many of my friends involved as possible. It'll get them out to shoot, anyway!

Check this out if you haven't already. It's a great program that the NRA should really push harder.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Good for you, and if nothing else, it gives one a 'good' excuse to go to the range and shoot! :-)

Robert McDonald said...

I think the 'reason to go shoot' is the real selling point. Everything is attainable if you go out and do it, and you've got benchmarks for just starting out.