Sunday, July 21, 2013

Achievement Unlocked: NRA Pistol Instructor

Today I completed my 17 hours of NRA Pistol Instructor training.  The paperwork is in the process of being submitted and I expect to have my electronic credentials in the next couple of weeks.  Paper credential will probably take a couple of months.

This is a huge step for me.  I'll now be able to offer individuals NRA certified instruction on the basics of pistol shooting.  I'm really excited about that as I think it will open up a lot of opportunities for me to train new shooters.  I've still got a lot to do, but I was given a lot of helpful information by the NRA Training Counselor Mark Cubine of Alabama Firearms Training Services.

Mark is the man I received my first formal firearms training from and I was very happy to be able to train with him again.  He went beyond the NRA material and also gave me and the other students some pointers and guidance for teaching firearms as a business and offered himself as a resource in the future.

I'm hoping to take some further training from him in the near future.  I really would like to take the NRA Personal Protection in the Home course and also become certified to teach that as well.  Since I will have the option of becoming a certified NRA Range Safety Officer via correspondence with my pistol instructor certification I plan to pursue that as well.

This was a great experience and I feel like I really learned a lot and was provided with everything I need to get started on the path to becoming an effective instructor.

3 comments:

B said...

welcome to the ranks.

Wilson said...

Congrats!

MSgt B said...

Congratulations!