Monday, January 14, 2013

Murder in the city.

My the city, as Uncle is so found of saying.

Last week, about ten miles from my home, a man took a handgun and shot his wife.  Then he shot his daughter.  The daughter was able to take the gun away from him and then ran to a neighbor's home for help.

I was sitting at the Post Office when I noticed every police vehicle in town (including a couple of unmarked vehicles I was not aware they had) went rushing past.  I wondered at the time what the hell was going on but didn't get the details until later.

When police arrived they found that the man had stabbed himself, or was stabbing himself, multiple times with a knife in an attempt to suicide.  He resisted, but was arrested.

The next day his wife had died from her injuries, he was in critical condition, and the daughter in stable condition.

This was a horrible crime and the motivation is unclear.  Some have suggested a head injury from a recent accident, but I'm skeptical.  The details of his recent past raise some questions but I don't have enough data to speculate.  He was the pastor of one of the largest churches in the city, though he'd rarely been in attendance due to health reasons.  He was abruptly transferred a few months ago from another church with no explanation given (possibly to put him closer to the hospitals in Birmingham, but who knows?)

Now, the man used a gun.  When that gun was taken out of the equation he used a knife, proving that someone bent on mayhem will use whatever tool is available.

I'm going to try to keep up with the details of the case as he goes on trial for murder and attempted murder.  I'd like to know what, if anything, drove him to this.  


1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Please keep us in the loop, and I'm betting the backstory will fill in some blanks!