Monday, December 3, 2012

On The Range #80: IDPA Classifier Match

Sunday I shot my first official IDPA Classifier.  The classifier consists of three stages and incorporates all the actions you may encounter in an IDPA match.  Here is a video of a random classifier:



Because of the number of shooters the range where I shot (Brock's Gap Training Center in Hoover, AL) set up each stage in three different bay.

Going into this I figured I would probably shoot Marksman, but I surprised myself and shot Sharpshooter (barely)!  My final score was 152.18 with 61 points down.  I also shot 10/31 based strictly on accuracy.

Here's how each stage broke down:

Stage 1 43.83-10/31
Stage 2 34.39-7/31
Stage 3 74.06-16/31

My weakest stage was the one that incorporated tactical reloads/reloads with retention and shooting at distance.  All of my reloads in stage 3 where reloads with retention.  I've been practicing the tactical reload but I defaulted to a reload with retention.  I think if I work on the tac reload I could do better.

I was the 2/3 in Stock Service Pistol/Sharpshooter.  I'm really looking forward to shooting more IDPA matches.  Unfortunately my days off recently changed from Thursday and Friday to Monday and Tuesday (with Sunday off as well temporarily).  Any match I shoot in the next couple of months will mean burning a vacation day and I don't have many left.

If things go well at work I should be able to get that Thursday and Friday, or maybe Friday and Saturday, off.  No guarantees (and things could be going better...I like incentive based pay, but the metrics are such that everything is stacked against you).  I've got two weeks vacation time coming at the end of April '13 so hopefully I'll be able to shoot a match at least every other month if nothing else.

For now, I'm just going to enjoy the fact that I am an IDPA Sharpshooter and celebrate with tasty Bulliet Bourbon and a La Gloria Cubana Serie R maduro.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Nicely done, and it's one more step up the chain! Proving that practice DOES help!

RobertM said...

Thanks!