Thursday, November 15, 2012

New Holster: Concealment Solutions Black Mamba

Since putting the TLR-1 on my Glock 17 I've been wearing it in my DSG Alpha holster which is an OWB model.  I prefer to carry IWB and so I've been looking for something that would hold my pistol with the light mounted.  The pickings are rather slim.

I was considering a CompTac CTac holster.  Follow the link and look at that thing.  Doesn't look like it would be very comfortable to me.

"Guns are supposed to be comforting, not comfortable," they say.

"Screw that," I say.  My Galco Royal Guard is comfortable, my DSG Alpha is comfortable, and my Don Hume leather OWB is comfortable.

There is no reason you can't carry a full size pistol or revolver comfortably.  It's all a matter of finding the right holster and then dressing around it.

Anyway, I was more interested in something like the CompTac Minotaur but they don't offer a model that will accommodate a weapon mounted light.  Maybe they do as a custom model but I decided to shop around.

Enter Concealment Solutions.  Looking around the website I saw that the Black Mamba is offered for guns with weapon mounted lights or lasers.  Well, that just so happens to be exactly what I was looking for.

The damned thing looked huge and I wasn't sure how comfortable it would be but I figured I'd take my chances.  I opted for the combat edition (combat cut) because I've never been bothered by the grip of my gun when carrying with the Royal Guard and I prefer being able to get an easy, solid grip.

It arrived Tuesday and I wore it a bit that evening.  I was impressed with the metal clips.  They are very secure and hold the holster in place during rapid draws.  The holster works great in conjunction with my leather gun belt and while it is indeed a large holster it is extremely comfortable.



Let me say that again:  It is extremely comfortable.

More wear is going to be necessary before I make the final call but this may well be the most comfortable holster I've every worn.  Wearing it (which I did today) is like not wearing a holster at all. The leather against your body feels, for lack of a better word, great.  

It also conceals wonderfully which surprised me just a bit.  It's definitely a pleasant surprise, though.

 




I'm glad I did some shopping around and found this holster.  Since I prefer carrying IWB this will likely become my primary holster.  I'm sure I'll remove the light from time to time and go with the Royal Guard in some situations (like when wearing a suit) but this thing is going to get a lot of wear.

My experience buying from Concealment Solutions was very positive.  I ordered the holster on Nov. 6 and had it in my hands by Nov. 13.  I likely would have had it sooner if not for the holiday weekend.  If you're in the market for a new holster I recommend taking a look at what Concealment Solutions has to offer.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Very nice, and good review, thanks Robert!

RobertM said...

Thank you!