Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Question for Glock shooters.

Ok, so I've been shooting my G17 Gen4 since March.  I'm just over 1,500 rounds.  I've had three malfs that were somewhere between stovepipes and double feeds.  Here's what happens:

Slide locks back, I remove old magazine and insert a new one.  I'm very aggressive with my reloads so I slam it in there pretty hard.  Most times this causes the slide to release without me racking or hitting the slide lock.  Most times this happens everything goes well but three times I've had the gun fail to go completely into battery.  A smack on the back of the slide doesn't work.  The only way to fix it is to strip the mag, rack the assed up round free, and reinsert a new mag and rack the slide.

So, the question is, how can I make the slide stay locked until I manually rack it?  I don't like that I'm starting to expect it to go forward when I insert a mag.  It causes a noticeable delay when it doesn't happen that way. I also want to avoid future malfs if possible.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

5 comments:

Old NFO said...

It shouldn't be doing that. I'd say the slide lock is either worn or not actually engaging correctly.

RobertM said...

Thanks, I'll look into that.

eiaftinfo said...

Kinda cruised the net a bit, seems like this is fairly "common" and many consider it a "feature"?? I have a couple Gen3s and have no such issues. I think I'd have a chat with the dealer or Glock service.

RobertM said...

Thanks!

Fill Yer Hands said...

Also, check to be sure the slide stop lever spring is installed correctly, and isn't bent. I've seen this happen when they were bent.

If you can't check that yourself email me.