Thursday, October 25, 2012

On The Range #77: Zeroing Ruger 10/22 Tech Sights

I had a Ruger 10/22 that my grandfather bought for me when I was 12 or 13.  It was used hard for years.  When I moved out on my own it stayed with my grandfather.  At some point, and I'm not pointing any fingers at a certain sibling, the rear sight was broken off and the wood stock was broken.

After my grandfather died I again took possession of the rifle.  It stayed stored away for years with no efforts on my part to get it back into shooting shape since I'd purchased another.  Anyway, long story short the newer 10/22 went away.

I've recently been getting the Ruger back up to snuff.  I started by replacing the stock with a Hogue Overmolded stock.  I love it.

Next I picked up some Tech Sights on Amazon.  This past Monday I installed those.  Again, love.





Today I had the opportunity to get outside and do a little zeroing.  Since I don't really know what I'm going to be doing with this gun yet I went with a 10 yard zero for now.  I'll probably re-zero at 20-25 yards at some point in the near future as I'd really like to do an Appleseed with this rifle.


The three shots on the thumbnail dot were my last three.  Like I said, only 10 yards so nothing special and I'll probably re-zero soon.  Still fun though.

When zeroing with these sights you're going to want to have a couple of things with you.  The front sight requires the AR front sight adjustments tool (you could get by with something else but I found it helpful).  You'll also want something to push in the detent on the rear sight.  I thought I might get buy with a .223 round but that did not work and I ended up using a 1/16" punch.  

Next I'm going to add a sling and I think I'll have my Ruger where I want it for the time being, and hopefully be off to an Appleseed Event at some point in the next year or so.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is THE PERFECT setup for Appleseed. Someday I'm going to have one setup just that way and do Appleseed again. Someday...
YeOldFurt

Borepatch said...

Tech sights are filled with Win. And YeOldFurt is right - we took ours to Appleseed with Tech Sights.

RobertM said...

I'm looking forward to more range time with it!