Wednesday, October 17, 2012

On The Range #76: Shooting Steel

One of the things I've really enjoyed about shooting IDPA has been the steel targets.  I got my first taste of shooting steel when I took an NRA First Steps Pistol class and had the opportunity to shoot a Texas Star.

Anyway, I've been wanting to pick up some steel targets for shooting at home for a while.  I've got a few bookmarked online but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Anyway, I picked up one of the cheap versions I've seen at both Academy Sports and WalMart.  According to the box it can handle any pistol round and rifle up to .30-06.

Took it out and shot it for the first time this afternoon.  It handled 9mm fine.  Not a dent.  Cheap Russian .223?


I shot one round at the target and inspected it and saw no more damage than done by the 9mm so I moved back further, around 30 yards, and went at it.  After I finished up I went to look at the target again and found that it was chewed to pieces.  Oh, well.  Lesson learned.  At least the top is still good to go.


2 comments:

Old NFO said...

You've got to watch those cheap ones, when they get chewed up, they'll start throwing ricochets back at you.

RobertM said...

Yeah, I'm glad I checked the damned thing when I did.