Monday, October 22, 2012

Ambi safeties suck.

I'd always been told that ambi safeties sucked and were prone to breakage.  I never put much faith in that since I've owned two 1911s with ambi safeties and never had and issue with those safeties.  This led to me going with an ambi safety on my AR since I shoot long guns left handed.

Anyway, if you've been reading this blog with any regularity you know that didn't go well.  The left side selector popped off at some point and I never found it.  I removed the right side and I've been using it on the left.  Well, now I can pop it off with one finger.  

I was mulling over putting the dedicated right hand selector back in when I thought to myself, "What company makes lefty ARs?"  


When I first wanted to purchase an AR years ago I looked long and hard for a Stag Arms left handed AR.  I never could locate one locally and no one seemed interest in ordering one for me.  So I went with a S&W M&P-15T and a right handed safety.  Never got around to putting an ambi on that one before I was forced to sale it.  

Well, it occurred to me that if anyone can supply me with a dedicated lefty safety selector it would be Stag so I hoped over to their website.  They don't sell it an an individual part (and neither Brownell's or MidwayUSA carry them) but I can get one in a lower parts kit.  

So I ordered one Saturday night.  Hopefully it will be arriving soon.

No comments: