Friday, September 28, 2012

On The Range #74: IDPA Flashlight Match

I shot IDPA last night.  It was fun.  The stages were large and complicated because we were shooting the same stages as the club's Tactical Carbine Championship match that is this weekend.

The first stage I shot involved engaging a target from within an old mail jeep with 6 rounds and then engaging multiple targets on the run from various cover.  There was so much going on that I ended up with a couple of procedurals for shooting targets out of sequence and for leaving cover with an empty gun.

All of the stages were complicated.  Two were shot completely in the dark.

I'M GOING TO PUT THIS IN CAPS SO YOU PAY ATTENTION.  IF YOU CARRY A GUN FOR DEFENSIVE USE THEN FIND AN OPPORTUNITY TO SHOOT IN THE DARK USING A FLASHLIGHT.  IT IS EXTREMELY DIFFICULT.

I'm lucky enough that I can shoot any time I want on my own property. I think I'm going to spend a couple of evenings over the next month to shoot a few strings of fire in the late evenings using a flashlight.  I'm also going to install some night sights as soon as possible.  Even with a flashlight picking up the front sight can be difficult and I want to make it as easy as possible.

I'm thinking of picking up a light to throw on my rail as well and upgrading my holster.  Maybe some CT laser grips too.  Being blind scares the shit out of me and last night moving around all those barriers and having to work to find targets that I'd already seen on the walk through was a hell of an eye opener.  Then finding them and struggling to find the front sight because my grip is all wrong because I've also got a handheld flashlight?  Hell, no!

IDPA may be just a game but it's a hell of a better place to learn these lessons than in the middle of a gun fight!

5 comments:

Wilson said...

Learning to shoot in the dark is a skill many of us (including me) neglect. Thanks for the post, and reminder.

Scott J said...

Hey, found your blog because IDPA linked it on Facebook.

I was at the same match.

RobertM said...

Cool, I'm going to be shooting Saturday there too. Hope you liked my short writeup.

Scott J said...

Good job on the writeup. Lord willing I'll be there Saturday and have talked the wife into coming to spectate.

RobertM said...

I hope you make it. My girlfriend is planning on coming to watch as well.