Monday, July 16, 2012

Thoughts on using flashlights in defensive encounters.

Do you know what happens when you wake up in the dead of night, have plenty of night vision to get around your home, and then click on that Surefire for a moment to get a better look at something and then click it back off?

You find yourself in pitch black so dark you can't see your hand in front of your face because you've totally fucked your night vision.

I'll be keeping this in mind.  If I turn the light on in a defensive encounter I'll be keeping it one.  Better to be able to see and maybe blinding them with the light than to be blind myself.  If you're like me you have pretty good night vision, especially after waking up in the middle of the night and you can probably see well enough to do what needs doing.  Night sights would help here because it's hard to pick up black on black, but other than that I can generally make out detail pretty well. 

I live alone.  No one has an extra key to my home.  You actually can't get inside with a key because I just interior latches at all times when the doors are closed.  So, if someone is in my home without permission they're are probably getting shot unless they follow instructions very well and very quickly.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Good point, and the bigger question is, at WHAT point do you actually turn on the light? If there IS someone in the house, they'll know you're coming. OR do you maintain position and let them come to you, THEN light em up? I don't have a good answer...

RegT said...

first, Two points: there are better - and MUCH less expensive flashlights than Surefire. Example:
http://www.batteryjunction.com/nitecore-ec1-explorer.html

Second, many of them have a strobe function which will not only blind but possibly disorient an intruder/attacker. Example: http://www.batteryjunction.com/jetbeam-pc10.html

or: http://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-t20-r5-v2010.html

I own three of the O-Light flashlights, one of which is mounted on my wife's Bushmaster M4gery.

These lights are every bit as good as the Surefires at 1/2 to 1/4 of the price.