Friday, July 27, 2012

On The Range #71: Rifle, Pistol, and IDPA

This one is going to cover my last three range trips but I'm going to keep is relatively short.

I picked up a box of Hornady Steel Match 55gr .223 JHP for the AR and did a little shooting with that about two weeks ago.  This stuff is super accurate and very affordable.  I didn't do any shooting past 50 yards, but I think it will hold up even further out.  I want to get into a little tactical rifle competition at some point and I think this stuff will be what I'll use.

Last Friday I got myself out on the range for some pistol shooting with the Glock.  I did a bunch of Bill Drills and Mozambiques using my shot timer.  I took the best five of each and come up with some averages.  All shooting was done from cover using a Galco Royal Guard IWB holster. 

Bill Drills
  • Time to first shot 2.76 seconds
  • Split time 0.51 seconds
  • Total time 5.64 seconds

Mozambique Drills
  • Time to first shot 2.61 seconds
  • Split time 0.94 seconds
  • Total time 4.10 seconds

My average time to draw and put the first shot on target was 2.67 seconds (average of 12 draws).

Yesterday evening I shot my third club level IDPA match.  Once again, it was a lot of fun.  I was the third shooter in my squad all night.  We only shot four stages but it went kind of slow because we had a lot of CDP shooters, three of which were rocking Nighthawk Custom 1911s.  Those three pistols probably accounted for $6k worth of craftsmanship, if not more, and would you believe one of them was being carried in a Fobus?  It made me a little sick.

Anyway, it was not my best match to date.  I shot the first stage clean (after fumbling and dropping my magazine on 'load and make ready'), so I started out well if just a bit slow.  On the second stage I took a big time hit when I had a failure to feed on a reload.  I think I induced it because I had no other problems and I know I used the magazine again.  I don't think it was the cheap Monarch steel cased ammo, but I'll be watching out for it in the future just in case.  I'm going to try to stick to Winchester white box for my match ammo from now on.

I ended up finishing 5 of 12 in SSP/unclassified and overall I was 17 of 35.  I had 17 points down which was the same as the guy who finished best overall...he was just about twice as fast as me!

It was a fun match and I'm already looking forward to the next one.  Hopefully I'll get to shoot a classifier soon and get to one of the Saturday matches.

No comments: