Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Thoughts on training.

Since it seems to be a popular subject.

Guns are pretty damned easy to use compared to a lot of other tools.  I'd been shooting for years with just minor parental instruction and I managed not to unintentionally harm anyone or anything.  Still, I wasn't very good at it.  Sure, I could reasonable be expected to hit another person with a bullet from contact distance and that's probably all I'm likely to need in a self defense situation, but I still wasn't a very good shot and I wanted to be.

I practiced.  I got better, but not very.  I took a class.  I learned a whole lot.  I had fun.  I got a lot better at this shooting thing, and the reason I got better is because I practiced what I was trained to do.  And damn if it didn't work. 

I got an opportunity to take another class.  I enjoyed.  I learned some new things.  I practiced what I was trained to do...and I got better. 

I'll take more training courses in the future as time and finances permit.  I'll practice what I'm trained to do.  I'll probably get even better than I am right now.  Maybe not, but probably. 

So what do I get out of training?  Well, it makes me a better shooter.  Does that mean I'm better than someone who doesn't train in shooting?  In general, it probably does as far as shooting goes.  I'm probably a better shot than someone who doesn't practice shooting regularly (or at all).  That doesn't make a me a better person.  It also doesn't make me a gunfighter or a warrior. 

I want to be a good shot.  I don't think there is anything wrong with that.  I want to know how to handle weapons correctly.  I don't think there is anything wrong with that.  I'm proud of the skill I've developed, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. 

I think training is a good thing.  I think good training will make you a better shooter.  I also think being a good shot won't do you any good if you can't pull the trigger on another person. 

I think comparing civilian firearms training to military firearms training is a bit disingenuous.  If I had smart bombs, artillery, stealth jets, tanks, predator and reaper drones I'd probably spend most of my training budget there too. Then there is the fact that most wars have been fought by conscript armies by the method of putting a gun in someone's hands, pointing him in the general direction of the enemy, rinse and repeat until one side gives up or runs out of bodies.  Wars are won by the side that can soak up the most casualties and still remain cohesive.  Military strategists have tried to change that but the end result, in my opinion, seems to be a lot of stalemates and wasted efforts.

Anyway, kind of trailed off there. 

So, training.  I don't really give a fuck if you train or not.  I'm going to.

4 comments:

agirlandhergun said...

Lol, good post...love the last line!

Old NFO said...

Good post, and good points!

DirtCrashr said...

A friend of mine said that you can get "good" at something or make a "great" product - but unless you practice at it a lot it won't show any passion, and the thing won't last. Practice shows passion is I guess what he meant.

RobertM said...

A girl-Thanks!

NFO-Thank you. I was mainly just writing stream of consicous after all the various back and forth posts I've read and I like the way it came together.

DirtCrashr-I think I agree with what your friend said. Passion takes a thing from just being something you do, to being a part of who you are.