Monday, June 25, 2012

Quick thoughts.

Oleg Volk links to a post about rape prevention.  It's worth reading, and I think offers some very good tips both for men and women.

ENDO posts a FateOfDestinee video that sounds a like what I hear from women who go to bars.  In a nutshell, "Guys pay attention to me!  Why do they do that?  Why are they interjecting themselves into my attempt to enjoy myself?"  Guys pay attention because you're hot and you're doing something most of their wives/girlfriends/daughters want nothing to do with and that makes you just fascinating.  Almost everything that bothered her I've seen happen near a dart board or a pool table.  If you want to be left alone, just say, "This ain't my first rodeo" or simply "Leave me alone."  If someone persists at this point complain to the range staff.

AGirlAndHerGun links to this blog post about women in the gun industry by Shelly Rae.  It made for interesting reading.  I can understand not wanting to be successful in an industry just because you're a woman, but at this point I think that's going to come with the territory.  What the gun industry wants is to sell guns and expand its market and having women to point to who are shooters/gun writers/etc. as proof that guns are not just for the boys is a big part of what makes women important to the industry.  Like it or not being a woman is an added value.  I think that will change as more and more women become gun owners and become a part of the industry, but I don't think the numbers are there yet.  Frankly, I'd like to meet more women who aren't completely ignorant when it comes to one of my passions.  

4 comments:

agirlandhergun said...

Good points all.

I think some women confuse a guy thinking they are attractive with the guy can't or doesnt accept them as a professional. Men can do both and much of how they treat women has to do with how we act and react.

RobertM said...

Thank you.

Old NFO said...

Good set of links, thanks!

RobertM said...

Welcome!