Friday, May 4, 2012

Wet shave.

With a straight razor.  Because safety razors are for pussies.

I've had a hankering for the traditional barber experience lately.  There is at least one place in Birmingham where I can get a nice wet shave, but after looking into it and seeing the money savings involved I decided I wanted to try it at home.  So I hopped on Amazon and made a few purchases:

1.  The Art of Shaving Starter kit.  This comes with a pre-shave oil, traditional wet shave cream, a brush, and aftershave balm.  The bottles are travel sizes and the whole kit is just over $20 and qualifies for Amazon prime.  It's perfect for a someone who wants to give wet shaving a whirl.

2.  Parker straight razor with replaceable blades.  I went with this because it was cheap, and if I don't like it I'm out $20 rather than the ~$200 I'll pay for a good traditional straight razor.  Boker makes some nice ones.

Later today I'm going to my local cigar shop for an Oliva cigar event so I figured it was the perfect time to try my hand at the wet shave with a straight razor. 

No blood!

I really expected to cut myself, but I took my time and did ok.  Since this was my first time I followed the recommendation I was given of only doing one pass so it's not the closest shave I've ever had, but it's still a good shave.

The shave itself was...different.  My cheeks were easy enough, though I did have to change hands to get my right cheek with my left hand.  Since I keep a beard I was worried I'd get to deep into it with my right hand.  
 
Under the chin was easy straight down my neck but getting out to the sides was more difficult and awkward.  I'm just going to have to experiment to see what works best.  I'm going to watch some YouTube videos for ideas. 

Shaping up my sideburns along the jawline was probably the most challenging aspect of the shave.  That's something I'm going to have to spend a lot of time if I want to avoid cutting myself.  

All in all, I'm very happy with the experience and I think this is going to be the way to go for me.  I'm already thinking of putting some money down on a nice straight razor.

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

Don't Sneeze... Please!!! And it IS quite a different shave, and truly the closest shave you will get!

armedlaughing said...

Did straight razor shaving some years ago. Amazing results - if I safety-razor shave in the AM, I must shave again in the afternoon to look good in the PM!
But, with a straight razor, I can go two days!
My biggest complaint is it takes me 45 minutes to an hour to do it right. So, I went back to plastic razors...
Good Luck!
gfa

RobertM said...

NFO-Yeah, no kidding!

Armedlaughing-I'm enjoying it so far. Since I keep a beard I can get it done pretty quick but it still takes longer than with a disposable.