Monday, May 14, 2012

On The Range #66: Magpul MIAD and Troy Industries Ambi Safety

I mentioned Saturday that I'd installed an ambi safety and a Magpul MIAD grip on my AR.  Saturday afternoon I decided to do a little function testing on the range.  It was nothing special, just one 30 round magazine fired at a precision target from 3 to 25 yards, mostly slow fire.

The ambi safety is made by Troy Industries.  It has levers that will go on either side so that a right or left handed shooter can operate the safety without breaking their grip.  One lever is large (I put it on the right side of the gun) and one smaller to be unobtrusive.  I've played with it during dry fire and had no issue.  This held true on the range as well.  It goes off easily with a full grip.  Putting the gun back on safe, for me, requires me to slightly break my grip.  This isn't an issue for me.

I'm glad I bought the new safety.  Operating a right hand safety being left handed is a pain in the ass, and an awkward one at that.  I like this much better, and it was worth every penny.  If you're in a similar situation I highly recommend making the change.

The Magpul MIAD is, as I expected it would be, a god send.  For me, the ergonomics of the standard grip on my Spike's lower sucked.  My hand was way to close to the trigger and the result was an awkward trigger pull.  With the large back strap on the MIAD grip my finger is exactly where it needed to be so that I was able to get a smooth trigger pull without having to do any weird acrobatics with my my finger. 

Installing the MIAD grip has removed a lot of awkwardness from my rifle shooting and it's going to make it a lot more fun too.  I'm also pretty sure it's going to help my shooting, especially out at distance.  If I'm not worried about how uncomfortable my hand is I'll be better able to concentrate on my breathing and getting a smooth, consistent movement out of my trigger finger. 

I don't think I'll regret either of these purchases.  The safety and new grip both have improved the ergonomics of the gun, and that's important to me.  The more comfortable it is, the more I'm going to shoot it.  I didn't put near a grand into this thing to let it sit in the safe.  Hell, I liked shooting it before, this just makes it that much better. 

One of the great things about the AR platform is how adaptable it is to the individual.  I can use any damn AR out there.  I know how to use a generic gun.  The one I've put together is my rifle, though.  I've tailored it to myself:  my taste, my needs, my body.  You can't ask for much more than that.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

That's great news! Always nice when the $$ actually pay off... :-)

RobertM said...

Yeah, I'm very happy it did. Too much stuff isn't worth a damn anymore.