Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Firearms manufacturers that use hex head screws are assholes.

I finally got around to buying an ambidextrous safety for my AR.  I pulled up a video on YouTube so I could see how to install it.  It looks like a very simple thing to do. 

I grab a screwdriver, turn my lower over to get at the grip screw, and promptly yelled, "FUCK!!"  Rather than a universal flat head screw Spike's Tactical has used a screw that will required a goddamned male hex driver to remove.  What the fuck? 

It's bad enough when 1911 manufacturers do this with their grip screws.  I hate that AR manufacturers are turning out lego guns and trying to make it difficult to modify them.

Anyway, I had drivers at one point, but sticky fingers.  And people wonder why I everything I own is behind a padlock and why I generally hate people.  I guess I'll be making a trip to the hardware store.

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

Oh well, buy a spare set and keep em locked in the safe, that's what I do :-)

RobertM said...

Yeah. It's an easy enough fix, just annoys the hell out of me.

Mr.B said...

But it is tactical...and cool. And trendy to use Hex screws or even (shudder) Torx, Or reverse Torx

Methinks JMB (PBUH) had the best idea. All you need to fully detail strip a 1911 is a cartridge and your hands.

No tools.

RobertM said...

I don't consider making it more difficult tactical, but then again I also believe words having meaning.

Dead god, I hate Torx.