Thursday, March 8, 2012

Self-defense isn't about preparing for the most likely scenario.

It is highly unlikely that any individual will ever find them self in a situation where they will need to use lethal force in self defense.  So why carry a gun?

You carry a gun because it is easier to carry it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Further, you'll probably be fine with with a small caliber pistol or revolver and you'll probably never need a reload.

But we've already established that probably isn't good enough, haven't we?

A handgun is a compromise of convenience and social acceptance, a tool for combating a "sudden and unexpected attack" as Jeff Cooper put it.  If you know ahead of time that you have no choice but to be in a gunfight you don't take a handgun, you take a long gun.

So, for me, understanding that even the most powerful pistol I can manage is just a compromise forced on me by practicality and social mores then I'm going to carry as much pistol as I can.  Right now that's a full size 1911 in .45 ACP with two spare magazines.

I don't carry this because I know what I'm going to need.  I don't carry this because I think I'll probably need it.  I carry it because for me it's the best compromise if I'm ever faced with a highly unlikely but potentially life threatening situation.

I can't always carry a full size handgun.  That leaves me doing a lot of off body carry which has me looking long and hard at the Ruger LCP and similar guns.  I understand the concept, and something is always better than nothing when it comes to self defense.  I just prefer more to less, so much so that I'll probably be upgrading from the 1911 to a plastic fantastic 9mm with a 17 round capacity.

Paraphrasing Clint Smith, a gun is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable.  I'm going to carry as much gun as I can with a reasonable amount of comfort* and hassle**.

*'reasonable amount of comfort' being comfortable enough that I'll do it vs. not doing it

**If it were legally and socially acceptable I would never be without a long gun near by or a handgun on my person.

No comments: