Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Quote of the Day: Turnabout is fair play.

In response to Dr. Drew Pinsky saying an erotic novel geared toward women is rape fantasy, Jessica Wakeman of The Frisky had this to say:
“He and every other man should not be telling women what arousal is acceptable and what is not. That's pretty irresponsible. No one should be concerned about a consensual relationship between a submissive and a dominant. The realm of fantasy is just that — fantasy.

“In this book,” Wakeman continued, “the protagonist may be naive and young, but those qualities alone don't mean she isn't following her sexual desires in the bedroom. BDSM relationships could not be farther from domestic and sexual abuse: people who practice it follow the rules that everything they do will be safe, sane and consensual."
I completely, 100% agree with her.

But.

I cannot remember a time in my life when women weren't telling me that my sexual fantasies were unacceptable, demeaning, wrong, disrespectful, or disgusting.  And that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.  But if you want men to lay off your fantasies, I also encourage you to ask women to lay off of men's fantasies.

No one should be telling anyone what arousal is acceptable when it is between consenting adults. 

I'll probably pick up a copy of this book.  It sounds like it's right up my alley.  Somehow I doubt it will touch Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel series.

2 comments:

Borepatch said...

Amen.

agirlandhergun said...

I wish people would stop deciding what is acceptable to think altogether.