Friday, March 23, 2012

Oops! I drank the wrong Kool-Aid!

Glock 17 Gen 4

I decided about a year ago that I was going to buy a 9mm pistol of some persuasion due to the costs of .45 ACP ammo.  I went back and forth between the Glock 17 and the S&W M&P9.  I made the decision to go with the Glock 17 Gen 4 based on a couple issues I had with the M&P.  

First, the Glock has the better out of the box trigger setup.*  To get what I wanted in a trigger out of the M&P would have required purchase and installation of aftermarket parts.  They're not expensive, and it's easy to do, but it adds about $50 onto the price of the pistol which is already $50 more expensive than the Glock.  Which brings us to issue number two, which was that the Glock was less expensive.  It also came with three 17-round magazines, compared to the M&P's two.  That's another $30 dollars I saved right there.  

I put those savings into a Don Hume belt holster, a BLACKHAWK! universal double stack single mag holder, and 100 rounds of ammo.  

Hopefully I'll have an On The Range post up featuring the Glock 17 in the near future.

*YMMV

5 comments:

Erin Palette said...

My newly-acquired carry gun is a Glock 26, which I got mainly because I wanted ammo and magazine compatibility with my 9mm Glock-magazine-eating Kel-Tec Sub-2000.
(Damn, that's a lot of hyphens.)

I got the S2K in 9mm because it's my primary home-defense weapon, and both and I my mother need to practice with it. Therefore, I needed cheap practice ammo. Right after the .22LR, 9mm is the most commonly issued handgun ammo, and is therefore the cheapest due to supply.

I went with Glock because magazines are also consumable, and therefore wanted a cheap and plentiful supply.

The fact that I have a great chance to make use of scrounged ammo and magazines in a zombie apocalypse or Max Max post-holocaust is entirely beside the point. ;)

Brandon said...

cdnn has glock mags on sale this weekend, if you wanted to pick up a few extras.

RobertM said...

Erin-Paying for .45 ACP ammo was killing me. I'm glad I finally made the switch. I hoping to start shooting IDPA in the future so it'll be nice to be able to practice for cheap.

And the availability and popularity certainly make it a good SHTF round.

Brandon-Thanks, I wish I had the spare cash.

Stephen said...

I certainly enjoy mine. I don't carry it each day, but its mag's are compatible with my crittergetter.

agirlandhergun said...

Kool-Aid is Kool-Aid. It's all good!