Thursday, March 8, 2012

I need an ambi safety for the AR.

I'm right handed and left eye dominant.  As such I'm a bit of an oddity.  I shoot pistols right handed with my head cocked at a funny angle, and I shoot my long guns left handed. 

Long guns hate lefties.  I think that's why I've always been more of a pistol guy. 

Anyway, I want to put an ambi safety on my AR so that I can operate it without having to break my grip.  I've worked out how I do mag changes, and with time and practice I don't think that will be a issue, but the safety is definitely an awkwardness that needs to be dealt with. 

Anyone have any suggestions?

I'd also be perfectly fine with just a lefty only safety.  I don't particularly need it for right handed work, but it would be nice for transition shooting or if I want to let someone else shoot. 

5 comments:

dakotas5 said...

Cheaper than Dirt has them for about $30. Easy install. Hope it helps.

Odysseus said...

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cmmg-ambidextrous-safety-for-ar-15.aspx?a=862785

Hope this helps, so I'm guessing the bullpuped AKs aren't for you.

Rifleslinger said...

I found that it was easier for me to work the standard safety on an AR left handed than it was right handed. Try using the part of your index finger near the base, where it joins the hand. All you need to do is make firm contact and move the contact point about a half inch. This works nicely because when you are moving your finger towards the trigger, this technique will turn off the safety in the same motion, but it's so deliberate that it wouldn't be unsafe.

Old NFO said...

Get one, you won't go wrong...

RobertM said...

Thank you all for the comments. I think I'll be picking one up soon and giving it a whirl.