Monday, November 28, 2011

Well, that didn't go as planned.

I had intended that this post would be about how I'd just installed a free float rail system on my AR.  To be fair, I did manage to do that.  Sort of.  It wiggles, so I fucked something up.

I also managed to destroy my front sight post and in the process the barrel.  I'm going to hand the upper to a friend of mind and tell him to strip it anyway he can and sell what parts aren't completely fucked afterwards and give me half.  He is actually competent when it comes to minor gun smithing.  It is obvious to me at this point that I am not. 

I will never, ever attempt to add anything to a gun that is not a drop in part.  I just cost myself a good $400 to $500 thinking I was capable.  Instead I managed to fuck up a perfectly good gun. 

I thought I had done enough research.  I purchased the tools I would need need (minus one, but that is not what caused this issue).  I thought I could manage something so seemingly simple a task.  No such luck. 

It's clear to me I should have just spent a couple of extra hundred dollars and bought a complete gun.  Live and learn, I guess.

This fucking sucks. 

10 comments:

Stephen said...

Sorry, my friend. Happens to best of 'em.

Old NFO said...

It happens Robert, look on the bright side; no one was hurt, and it only cost a 'relatively' few bucks...

Jennifer said...

That does suck. Like NFO said, at least no one was hurt

RobertM said...

Stephen-Thanks.

NFO-True, and I may be able to fix it a little more cheaply, it just depends.

Jennifer-True...except for my pride, of course!

Bob said...

Sorry that it happened to you.

Josh K. said...

As Thomas Edison would of said, you learned what not to do for nextime. No experience is ever wasted if you at lest learned something.
;-)
Josh

ASM826 said...

What happened to the barrel? I can see destroying the front sight, and possibly the gas tube, but I am curious how the barrel got damaged.

RobertM said...

Two tapered pins, a hammer, an incorrect angle, and one idiot. Combine with ham handed attempts to get the pins back out and you've got front sight post/gas block that ain't coming off short of taking a saw to it as far as I can tell. I'll hand it to my buddy the gunsmith and let him make a more accurate diagnosis but I'm assuming the worse. As it is, it's going to be cheaper to buy another complete DSA upper than to replace barrel, front sight post/gas block, and gas tube on the one I have. On top of with the free float rail wiggles.

I'll have a spare flat top upper if nothing else. I may have my friend put together precision upper for me or sell it.

ASM826 said...

Let's hope for the best. It may be possible to salvage the barrel. I built one a couple of years ago, but I didn't free float the barrel, I went with a standard upper and handguards. It turned out okay and I use it for 3 gun, so super accuracy isn't as important as reliability.

Sport Pilot said...

It's fixable, don't strip it or sell it, worst case the gas block and front sight are trash.